Thursday, June 01, 2006

Navi Nut

We ordered a new portable navigation system last week for the VW Golf at the office. Its a Becker Traffic Assist with a 1GB SD card. We received it this morning and were checking out its features. Everything was fine, except we didn't find any map of Europe inside. I checked out the DVD that came in the package and found that it had the maps. The device had to be connected to a PC via a USB cable. I plugged in the cable to the device, connected it to my laptop and started the software to transfer the maps. The map for the western part of europe was about 900MB and the transfer was pretty slow (can't expect much from an SD card). I wanted to simulate the environment of the car so I placed the device at an one end of the table and my laptop at the other end. Then placed my chair near the device to give a feeling like I'm actually seeing it inside a car.

The transfer was so slow that after about 3 hours of transferring, it was just 60% percent complete. I got impatient and wanted to explore the screen a bit and I started fidgeting around. I tried to change the language from English to Flemish (never heard about that language) and once I did that the screen went ......plink! The device restarted. I went down to my laptop and the message "Error output!" stared me on the face like an angry bull. I was like ....Oh nooo!!! All the effort down in the drain. Had to start all over again, but I didn't think it would be possible by the evening. I just disconnected everything and placed it on my table.

My colleague came around and said, "Let me try." So he took the device to his desk, connected it and started transferring. However this time, he reached 25% in less than 30 mins. He started bragging about it to me. At one point, I got infuriated at his comments and shouted back "That's not fair! You've kept the device so close to your computer!!"

No comments: