Friday, September 15, 2006

The Key Problem

Just 100m to get home and I start fumbling for my keys. I reach inside my pockets and pull out some keys to notice that they are my office keys. I keep fumbling again and finally manage to pull out my room keys. Once I've got the right set of keys, I almost always insert the wrong key to open the door. After getting things right again, I get inside and climb up 4 floors and again insert the wrong key to get into my apartment. By this time I'm a done deal.

Think it's over? I bet its not. Next morning I need to get to the office and the same thing repeats again. Except this time its the entry to the office. I don't know why but I don't seem to have any luck with keys. It's almost like the keys are allergic to me or probably they want to take some revenge for treating them badly.

Why can't we have a world without keys? How I would love to just push a door to open it. A door that can recognize me and grant me access without the need for keys. No keys to remember and no keys to forget. No more jingling noises from my trousers when walking around that gives the people an idea that I'm wearing steel briefs. No more access cards that need to be swiped everytime. No more passwords to remember. Why can't things be simple? I think no two people in this world have the same characteristics, not even twins, not even clones. So why don't we come up with some system that recognizes us as humans. Just like mom sees me coming home and opens the door. When I was a kid I could recognize that my dad was back just from the sound of his scooter and his shoes.

I think security needs to be made as simple as possible. Instead of increasing the complexity of keys, I think we need to eliminate them totally. We need to sit back and go back to nature and learn to implement what we learn using technology in our daily lives. The future is towards making things simpler.

I wish there comes a day soon when I never need to carry any keys with me. That way I can get rid of the "Oh no..I've forgotten the keys to my room in my friend's place" syndrome. The key to solving the key-problem is - NO KEY!!!

1 comment:

Anu said...

Thats actually a good idea. I hope device designers are listening! (Are you Dr.AK?)
Btw, even though I dont like keys, I love me key chain! :)